Appointing a Funeral Respresentative

One of the most difficult moments in one's life is dealing with the death of a loved one.

Who Needs a Funeral Agent?

If you think your relatives will not honor your funeral wishes or pre-arrangements, or if you are on bad terms with relatives, do not know where they are or do not have any relatives living, you should appoint someone you trust as your funeral agent. The funeral agent option is the legal way for you to appoint a specific person to arrange your funeral.

Appointing a funeral agent is a good way to ensure that you get the funeral you want.

How to Appoint a Funeral Agent

In order to appoint someone as your funeral agent, you will need to visit an attorney. Inform the attorney you want to name a funeral agent in your will according  to N.J.S.A. 45:27-22. The attorney will need to either draw up a new will or amend your existing will to include language similar to this:

Appointment of Funeral and Disposition Representative
"I hereby nominate, constitute and appoint [insert name] to serve as my Funeral and Disposition Representative, pursuant to P.L. 2003, c. 261. My Representative shall have the authority and power to control the arrangements for my funeral and the disposition of my remains. My Executor shall notify my Representative of this appointment, and shall advise my Representative of the financial means available to carry out the Funeral and Disposition arrangements. In the event [insert name] should predecease me or for some other reason not qualify to serve as my Funeral and Disposition Representative, then I nominate, constitute and appoint [insert name of alternate] as my Funeral and Disposition Representative.”